What a glorious sound!
Just three more rehearsals till out concert. The time just flies by!
I am so excited about the choir this season. There are so many exciting moments at each rehearsal. The most exciting thing is to see you develop as musicians and take ownership for the music you create.
You are really pushing me to work harder and I really enjoy that.
Your audience is in for a great musical treat on Dec 6.
Our rehearsals will be a little bit longer in the next few weeks. I will try to end by 3:15. If you need to leave, feel free to do so.
Gentlemen, please remember we will gather at 12:30 for the next few weeks in order to "polish" the Christmas Canon.
I've included the recording of I Heard the Bells. It is really clear and should help you get the rhythms correct as long as you remember, LISTEN many times before you sing aloud.
As you are looking at your music this week, please try really hard to focus on what you don't know. I have noticed over the years that people tend to focus on what they do know - Kind of defeats the purpose.
Here's what I'll be focused on:
1. The Lesser Joys of Christmas -
page 2 - measure 9 - transition to new tempo.
page 4 - balance of voices - S/A needs to balance the men
page 5 - measure 50 - 51
page 7 - measure 74 - end
- Please read the words over and over so that you can access them easily. Remember we are trying to involve the audience in our music and to do that, they need to hear the story.
2. Amen! Go Tell It -
page 5 - measure 29 - 36 - correct rhythms.
page 8 - measure 56 - S/A open the sound - transition to measure 65
3. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - consistent bass - throughout
4. I Heard the Bells - EVERYONE will sing measures 4 -11
page 7 - measure 37 -45 - review the rhythm.
page 12 - measure 62
page 13 - add descant.
5. Remembering December: tell the story - convey the message
page 6 measure 37 - 44 flowing (watch )
page 7 - measures 50 - 52
6. Mary Did You Know - Don't rush the rhythms
Second sopranos - do not sing the notes above the 4th line - use alternate.
Watch for the tempo alterations.
7. Snow, Snow, Beautiful Snow -
page 6 - E
page 10 - and page 11
8. Somewhere in my Memory - warm beautiful sound, with a warm beautiful message.
9. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas -
page 2 measure 8 - 11 - men sing in harmony.
page 3 - measure 16 -19 - men sing in harmony
page 4 - measure 21
page 6 - measure 38 - 41 - 2 parts
page 7 - measure 46 - 49 - harmony.
page 7 - measure 50 - Altos double the men
page 7 - measure 54 and 55 - altos double men
10. When Christmas Comes - tell the story with a warm beautiful sound.
11. Christmas Canon - men only - 12:30 pm
Once again - you are really doing well - please keep listening and reading the lyrics.
Have a great week everyone and thanks for a wonderful rehearsal.